Monday, February 9, 2009

Now, That's Funny - Bye-Bye Bush

I want to emphasize the comma in the title. Like Lynne Truss' zero tolerance approach to punctuation in "Eats, Shoots & Leaves", I used to have a zero tolerance for Bush humor. I would find myself watching, for example, Stephen Colbert skewering Bush and the neo-connneries (connerie: nf. French meaning silly, stupid, rubbish, bullshit, and from the root word con meaning idiots, lousy, dumb, foolish and designating the female sex organ) at the 2006 White House Correspondant's Dinner and I would find it hilarious, but involuntary angry constrictions of my chest would always choke back the laughter. In legal terms, I guess you would call this my Executive Gag Order Humor Reflex.

But that was before Obama took office and Bush got on what many of us hoped was a helicopter to nowhere... Now, I find his buffoonery (bouffon, nm. French the clown, the imbecile, the fool) really funny. So as I sit here today, February 9, 2009, watching the aweful (as in 'inspiring awe' and disgusting) and incredible compilation of Bush gaffes from the Letterman show, and the tears stream down my cheeks, I am saying to myself Now, (comma) that's funny! with the emphasis, thanks to the comma, on the Now.

Now, I understand why clowns can be so scary and funny...

No comments:

Post a Comment